November 17, 2010

pastoral

Okay, I promise this will be the last post about Korean food for a while! I just wanted to do a little write up for Pastoral because I love it and haven't really talked about it yet. Pastoral is a Korean restaurant located in the gayborhood at 205 S. 13th Street. I used to live only two blocks away and would go there about once a week and it was heaven. The food is awesome, the staff friendly, prices reasonable, and it's hardly ever crowded. The only thing lacking is the decor - it's just a bit dull, but it is clean. My friend Kat and I were craving Korean food (although when DON'T I crave Korean food..), so we decided to get some at Pastoral last night.

banchan

As per any good traditional Korean restaurant, we started out with complimentary banchan. Last night's included: kimchi, cucumber kimchi, spicy sliced cooked tofu with onions and jalepenos, spicy radish, cubed tofu in soy sauce, and a couple of egg-y omelette-y things. My favorite was the spicy sliced tofu.

pizza

Then came the Korean pancake - although they call it a Korean pizza. They had a few options and we decided to go with the one with kimchi, scallions and pork. Spicy and delicious!! Although, to be honest, I coudn't really taste the pork in it.

tofu

Then of course, the soon du bu. Kat got the one with pork, shrimp and veggies and I got one with mussels, shrimp, scallops and veggies. So hot and spicy and yummy - perfect for the weather we had yesterday (rainy and dreary). Does this meal sound familiar? I know it's pretty much identitical to the one I had at Jong Ka Jib Soft Tofu Restaurant about a month ago, but I can't help it. It's what I always want! I do sometimes try new things, but it's not often. If you are curious to see what else you can get, you can look at the menu here. I think I like the Soft Tofu Restaurant better, but this is a very close second. And the best part is that you don't have to drive 30 minutes to get there - I can hop on the bus and get there in 10 minutes!

No comments: