July 28, 2010

vintage shopping

I LOVE vintage shopping. It allows you to find things that are unique and that noone else will have. Vintage isn't just for those who want to look like they just stepped out of the 1950's (although who doesn't love the ladies of Mad Men?). Even if you aren't into the retro trend, as long as you mix vintage pieces with your everyday clothing, you'll look modern and will never have to worry about someone else showing up in the same outfit!

My favorite vintage store in Philly is Sixteen Hundred Below located on the corner of Tasker and Passyunk. I discovered the store last summer and I go so often that they know me by name! It takes up the basement level of the Reliable Floor Covering Company and has crept upstairs and currently takes up half of the main level as well. They have everything from furniture and home accessories to clothing, shoes and jewelery. Maria Froio-Furey, the owner, has been collecting vintage since she was 14. After stashing all her goodies away in storage for over 30 years, she finally decided to open a vintage shop about a year ago. What I love about this store is that Maria only stocks vintage - not consignment - so you'll never find a dress that you saw at Zara last year. The clothes are also in great condition and she frequently adds new stuff. And the best thing is that everything is reasonably priced. Vintage can be expensive but I've found this shop to be really affordable - and right now they're having a sale - 50% off all vintage!

A bookcase of vintage purses.

My roommate admiring a very cute plaid dress.
An employee modeling an amazing fur trimmed winter coat. This needs to be seen in person, its gorgeous!!

This dress is adorable! I can see it with flats and a little cross body bag - perfect for walking around the city.

This little silk dress from the 1940's came home with me :) I really liked the contrasting white fabric around the sleeves and the pattern is so sweet. It's really long and I'm really short, so it needs to be hemmed before I can wear it - an easy fix.

Lots of great jewelery! In addition to vintage jewelery, Maria also offers her own line of handmade pieces called NOCE Designs.

A few of my favorite finds from Sixteen Below!

No comments: